Carved In Stone

A Discussion Forum generally focusing on quotes from great men who shaped the course of this Republic and Western Civilization as a whole particularly in the areas of Theology, History, Philosophy and Politics.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm married with seven kids, six boys and one girl.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Bureaucracy in the Church

Now members of a body do not hold offices; they have functions... Thus, what we call church offices are in reality functions of the body of Christ in this world. This fact is very important. Offices lead to a bureaucracy and a ruling class, whereas functions keep a body alive. In the early church also, we have no evidence of what is commonplace today, regualr, stated bureaucratic meetings of presbyteries, synods, councils, bishops, etc. Instead, beginning with the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15, the meetings were called to resolve a problem or meet a need. They were functional meetings, not organizational; they were aspects of the life of a body, not of a bureaucratic organization. Roussas John Rushdooney, Chalcedon Position Paper 97 pp404 The Roots of Reconstruction May 1988.

4 Comments:

Blogger jazztheo said...

Functions vs. Offices...nice distinction, I'd not thought of it that way but I like how it brings clarity. I'm glad I stumbled across you blog, I'll be back.

4:28 PM  
Blogger risen_soul said...

I agree with you on the point you've made about functions vs. office inasmuch as you recognize that there is meant to be a pastor/elder at the head of each local body of believers. So it may not be an "office" but it is a "position" of authority. 1Timothy as well as Titus make this clear, as well as through out the rest of the New Testament.

7:39 AM  
Blogger jazztheo said...

John,

thanks for stopping by, I posted some thoughts to your convergent question...

I'm reformed in spirit and look forward to interacting with you over time.

9:08 PM  
Blogger risen_soul said...

John-

Thanks for stopping by my site. I do believe that a church should be led by a group of elder's meeting the qualifications of 1 Timothy and Titus, I didn't make that very clear.

However I do believe that there is meant to be a person who is the head of that body. For instance Paul left Timothy in Ephesus to lead the church. And then of course Paul sent two letters to instruct timothy on how elders ought to be slected as well as how to conduct many matter pertaining to church leadership and order. But Timothy was the Pastor/Teacher at the church of Ephesus. Not everyone who is an elder and meets such qualifications is given the spiritual gift of pastor/teacher, others are gifted in evangelism or administation, etc. (1 Corinthians 12:27-31) Though they must be capable of teaching it does not mean it's there spiritual gift. I hope that is a clarification of my own view of church leadership. I appreciate your thoughts and will check back with your blog often.

-Jacob

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home